How to use COLOMBO (Interlibrary Loans)
Things to know
- An alternative to Interlibrary Loans (ILL) is direct borrowing from academic institutions using the BCI card. If you can locate what you want at a nearby academic library, it may be faster to pick it up yourself using the BCI card.
- Before making a request through Colombo, check to see if Concordia already owns the item you need. To do this, check the Libraries' Discovery Search.
- Books in electronic format cannot be borrowed via Colombo at this time. If there is an ebook you want try suggesting a purchase.
- Colombo requests cannot be rushed - requests are handled on first-come first-served basis. Colombo allows you to pick a date after which the item you are requesting will no longer be needed. Note that this will not speed up your request but will cause it to be automatically cancelled if the request cannot be filled by the date you indicate.
- Make only ONE request per item. ILL staff will check with ALL possible lenders for you, whether or not you have specified a particular location to borrow from.
- Once you make a request contact the Interlibrary Loans (ILL) Office, and if possible quote the ILL/request number, for any questions you have, for example:
- To make changes to a request
- For an update on a request (ex: when do you expect my request to arrive?)
- For any other questions (ex: why did my request disappear?)
- Watch the video - Requesting Interlibrary Loans (ILL) Using COLOMBO (3:33)