Temporary move of books from LB-4 to offsite storage
On this page
- Which books will be placed in storage?
- Time period during which books will be in storage
- How to obtain material from storage
- Holds and recalls
- Alternate services
- External community
During the final phase of the Webster Library Transformation, over 350,000 books normally shelved on the Library 4th floor (LB-4) will be kept temporarily in offsite storage. They will start being moved on December 16, 2016. These items will be retrievable as of January 9, 2017.
These books are scheduled to return to the Library for the fall 2017 semester when the renovations are complete.
Concordia Library is committed to providing access to collections throughout the Webster Library Transformation. Below is more information about the availability of the collection during this time period.
- Unlimited renewals for all materials from the general collections, with some exceptions, unless recalled by another patron.
- Exceptions are: course material (in Course Reserve Rooms), tablets, laptops, and video recordings.
- This will allow patrons to keep items in their possession up until the time that they are recalled for use by another library user.
- This privilege is available to primary users, which are current students, faculty, and staff starting on November 2nd, 2016.
Which books will be placed in storage?
- Webster Library books with call numbers: H through QA 76.79. This represents 350,000 volumes.
- The books include subjects from the following disciplines:
- Cinema, computer science, economics, education, finance, fine arts, languages, law, literature, management, mathematics, music, political science, sociology
- Webster Library oversized books will be placed in storage. These approximately 3000 volumes will include call numbers from: A through Z.
- New books purchased for Webster Library in these call number ranges (H through QA 76.79) while the Webster 4th floor (LB-4) is being renovated will be shelved at the Vanier Library on the Loyola campus.
Time period during which books will be in storage
From December 16, 2016 until their scheduled return to the Webster Library for the 2017 fall semester and be available once again when the renovations are complete.
How to obtain material from storage
- This service will be available starting on January 9, 2017 until the books are returned to Webster Library.
- Request a hold in the Discovery Search or the Library Catalogue.
- Delivery of requests for books in storage takes place twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Hold requests made by noon (12PM) the day before a delivery day should arrive the next day. An additional day will be required if your pick-up location is Vanier Library.
- A request made at noon on a Monday should arrive the next day, i.e. Tuesday (Wednesday if Vanier Library is the pick-up location).
- A request made at 4pm on a Monday should arrive on the following Friday (the following Monday if Vanier Library is the pick-up location).
- Should the item you have placed on hold not be located, you will receive a message within 2 weeks notifying you of this and cancelling your request. In this situation other options for obtaining an item are Interlibrary Loan or borrowing it from another university library with your BCI card.
- You will receive a “Hold Pickup Notice” when your requests are ready for you to pick-up.
- Pick-up will be possible at both Vanier and Webster Libraries.
Holds and recalls
- To request a hold or recall an item another patron has loaned out, use the Request option in the Discovery Search or the Library Catalogue.
- Items recalled by a user will have a new due date.
- Number of requests allowed:
- For undergraduate and graduate students the maximum number of concurrent holds is 10.
- For faculty, starting April 20,2017, the maximum number of concurrent holds is 30.
- These limits are for most library items, from any location.
- You will receive an email when your items are ready for pick-up, and they will remain available for retrieval for up to 7 days on the holds shelves, or until the "PICKUP BY" date stated in the email.
- You may want to verify that the email in your library account is correct.
- Members of the Concordia community are encouraged to borrow items directly from other university libraries using their BCI card
- Interlibrary Loans. This service is limited to obtaining material Concordia does not own, but we will consider requests for material already on loan (not including course material in the Reserves).
To ensure items are available on reserve for winter courses, faculty are encouraged to submit requests for course reserves as early as possible keeping in mind that materials being moved to storage will be inaccessible between December 16, 2016 and January 9, 2017. After this date, Concordia Library staff will continue to place items on reserve, but may need to retrieve items from storage, which may create delays.
- In order to provide the best possible access to collections for Concordia Library's primary users, the external community will not have access to this collection while it is in storage.
- Exceptions are: Canadian university staff, faculty, graduate students and CEGEP faculty with a reciprocal borrowing card (for example: BCI card).
- For any questions about the temporary storage of books on LB-4 please contact Circulation Services (Loans) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For assistance with alternative means for accessing resources in your subject area try contacting your reference librarian via their subject guides.
- For any other questions please refer to the Ask A Librarian service.