Open Access publishing
On this page
- Spectrum: Concordia's research repository
- Finding OA journals in which to publish
- Concordia Open Access Author Fund
- Institutional memberships to Open Access journals: Publishing discounts
- SPARC Canadian Author Addendum: Securing authors' rights
Spectrum: Concordia's Research Repository
Spectrum is a web-based repository where Concordia faculty, research and students can upload their published work in order to make it more widely available over the internet. Authors may deposit copies of peer-reviewed research articles, conference papers, book chapters, images, PowerPoint presentations, or other materials that reflect research activity.
Depositing an article in Spectrum involves uploading the full text of the article, then adding basic citation information - a process that can take as little as 10 minutes. Each publication stored in Spectrum will have its own lasting web address. Spectrum is regularly crawled by Google and Google Scholar, so work will be findable via these search engines.
Authors depositing their work in Spectrum sign a license giving Concordia the non-exclusive right to make the submission accessible worldwide. Concordia University does not claim copyright over anything deposited in Spectrum. Research materials deposited in institutional repositories retain their original copyright: depending on the agreement with the original publisher, either the author or the publisher will retain the rights to an article. Authors can make use of the SHERPA/RoMEO website to determine whether they are permitted to deposit an article published in a particular journal.
Finding OA journals in which to publish
You can use the resources below to identify Open Access journals in your subject area. Be sure to keep in mind the guidelines on how to recognize trusted Open Access publishers when evaluating the journals you find.
- CoFactor Journal Selector Tool: Allows you to filter your choice by subject, peer review type, speed of revision and publication, impact factor, etc.
- Directory of Open Access Journals: Browse the different subject areas by navigating the subject section on the side bar. Find out how.
- Enago Open Access Journal Finder: Enter your manuscript abstract to help you shortlist trusted OA journals that are the most compatible with your research.
- Scopus: Click on the "Sources" link at the top of this is a multidisciplinary database. Then select "Browse sources", and select your subject area. Remember to select the "Display only Open Access journals" check box.
- Ulrich's International Periodicals Directory: This directory of periodicals allows you to limit your search to Open Access journals by subject. Find out how.
Concordia Open Access Author Fund
The Concordia Open Access Author Fund is a joint initiative of the Libraries and the Office of Research, with Strategic Funding provided by the Office of the President. The fund was established to support Concordia authors who have published a peer-reviewed journal article in an open access journal that charges author processing fees.
See more information about the fund and how to apply.
Institutional Membership to Open Access Journals
Concordia University Libraries have purchased an institutional membership to BioMed Central, entitling all Concordia-affiliated authors publishing in BioMed Central and SpringerOpen journals to a 15% discount on the article-processing charge (APC)
SPARC Canadian Author Addendum: Securing Authors' Rights
The Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) has developed a Canadian Author Addendum (available in English and French) to help authors secure the rights over the work they publish. Including the SPARC Canadian Author Addendum in a publication agreement enables authors to secure a more balanced agreement by retaining select rights, such as the rights to reproduce, reuse, and publicly present the articles they publish for non-commercial purposes.
For more context and instructions for using SPARC Canadian Author Addendum see Using the SPARC Canadian Author Addendum (available in English and French).