Entrepreneurship - Business Research Guide
Industry Information - Benchmarking Data & Ratios
The following resources are useful tools for comparing a business to other companies in the same industry or to the industry as a whole. These sources may provide ratios, average balance sheets, income statements, operating expenses for various industries, business activities or companies.
- SME Benchmarking Tool: (formerly Small Business Profiles - Performance Plus) benchmarking data
and ratios for Canadian small businesses (with revenues between $30,000 and $5 million), both incorporated and non-incorporated, organized by industrial classification for 2004 and 2006. Data for all types of businesse activities include an average income statement for each industry; for incorporated businesses an average balance sheet and additional finantial ratios are also available. Reports are classified by 2 to 6 digit NAICS codes.
- Financial performance indicators for Canadian business (CD-ROM; available on computer W-230 near Webster Reference Desk): key financial ratios by industry for small, medium and large Canadian firms.
- Industry Norms & Key Business Ratios (CD-ROM; available on computer W-225 near Webster reference Desk): provides ratios for large Canadian industries by SIC codes.
- FP Advisor:
includes industry reports of 23 of Canada's top industries and financial data for Canadian public companies.
- BizStats.com: statistics, financial ratios, benchmarks for
- See also: Financial Ratios: Selected Reference Sources
page last updated on: Monday 3 June 2013