Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
Selected Topics: Advertising
The following is a list of some sources in advertising. More resources can be found in CLUES, Concordia Libraries' Online Catalogue, using the subject heading links below
- Advertising, promotion, and new media: HF 6146 I58A39 2005 WEB 4th floor
- National List of advertisers (Canada): REF HF 5808 C2N3 WEB
- The media handbook: a complete guide to advertising media selection, planning, research, and buying: HF 5826.5 K38 2007 WEB 4th floor
- Graphic design speak: a visual dictionary of designers and clients: REF NC 997 A5M55 1999 WEB
- The SAGE handbook of advertising: HF 5823 S17 2007 WEB 4th floor
- Why it sells: decoding the meanings of brand names, logos, ads, and other marketing and advertising ploys: HF 5823 D36 2008 WEB 4th floor
- CARD -Canadian Advertising Rates and Data (monthly): ONLINE & REF HF 5808 C2C3 WEB VAN
- Subject Headings:Advertising, Commercial Art, Internet Advertising, Packaging, Publicity, Sales Promotion, Television Advertising, Marketing Channels, Communication in Marketing
Selected Topics: Business to Business Marketing
The following is a list of some sources on B2B marketing. More resources can be found in CLUES, Concordia Libraries' Online Catalogue, using the subject heading links below
Selected Topics: Customer Relationship Management (CRM) & Direct Marketing
The following is a list of some sources on CRM and direct marketing. More resources can be found in CLUES, Concordia Libraries' Online Catalogue, using the subject heading links below
Selected Topics: Consumer Behaviour / Consumer Satisfaction
The following is a list of some sources on consumer behaviour and consumer satisfaction. More resources can be found in CLUES, Concordia Libraries' Online Catalogue, using the subject heading links below
Selected Topics: Food Marketing
The following is a list of some sources of possible interest to food marketing. More resources can be found in CLUES, Concordia Libraries' Online Catalogue, using the subject heading links below
- Encyclopedia of food and culture: ONLINE
- Food chains : from farmyard to shopping cart: HD 9000.5 F5938 2009 WEB 4th floor
- Wine marketing : a practical guide: HD 9370.5 H35 2008 WEB 4th floor
- Subject Headings: Food -- Psychological Aspects, Food -- Social Aspects, Food Habits, Food Industry & Trade, Food Supply, Food Marketing, Functional Foods, Fast Food Restaurants, Grocery Trade, Restaurants, Wine Industry / Wine Marketing; Beer Industry / Beer Marketing, Agriculture
Selected Topics: Marketing Research
The following is a list of some sources on marketing research. More resources can be found in CLUES, Concordia Libraries' Online Catalogue, using the subject heading links below
- GreenBook : international directory of marketing research companies and services: REF HF 5415.2 M3 WEB
- Asking questions: the definitive guide to questionnaire design--for market research, political polls, and social and health questionnaires: H 62 B63 2004 WEB 4th floor
- Cross-cultural survey methods: H 62 C63 2003 WEB 4th floor, VAN 3rd floor
- Essentials of marketing research: HF 5415.2 E77 2008 WEB 4th floor
- Handbook of market segmentation: strategic targeting for business and technology firms: HF 5415.127 W45 2004 WEB 4th floor
- Handbook of marketing research: uses, misuses, and future advances: HF 5415.2 H286 2006 WEB 4th floor
- Marketing scales handbook: a compilation of multi-item measures - 4 vol.: REF HF 5415.3 B785 1992 WEB
- Subject Headings: Interviewing, Market Segmentation, Marketing Research, Questionnaires, Social sciences -- Research -- Methodology, Social surveys, Social surveys -- Methodology
Selected Topics: New Product Development / Branding
The following is a list of some sources on new product development and branding. More resources can be found in CLUES, Concordia Libraries' Online Catalogue, using the subject heading links below
Selected Topics: Public Relations
The following is a list of some sources on public relations. More resources can be found in CLUES, Concordia Libraries' Online Catalogue, using the subject heading links below
Selected Topics: Sales
The following is a list of some sources on sales. More resources can be found in CLUES, Concordia Libraries' Online Catalogue, using the subject heading links below
Selected Topics: Small Business
The following is a list of some sources on small business. More resources can be found in CLUES, Concordia Libraries' Online Catalogue, using the subject heading links below
Online Sources of Research & News Articles
The following can be used to identify articles published in academic journals, trade publications, newsletters, magazines or newspapers.
Article Indexes -- US & International
- Business Source Complete: Provides full-text to more than 1,650 scholarly business journals including market research reports and company reports from Datamonitor, as well as fulltext access to a collection of books. This database offers information in nearly every area of business including management, marketing, economics, finance, accounting, international business, and more.
- ProQuest Business Databases: This is a grouping of databases. When searching this database you are actually searching all the ABI/Inform databases listed below as well as CBCA Complete and Canadian Newsstand (see descriptions below). Also searches ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Fulltext.
- ABI/ Inform Global and Trade & Industry: Indexes and abstracts both scholarly and trade journals covering all aspects of business management, accounting, finance, marketing, decision sciences and many areas of economics as well as trade and industry, with extensive access to fulltext.
- ABI/Inform Dateline: This database contains complete articles from hundreds of local and regional business publications of North America. These provide news, analysis and business information not typically found in national news sources.
- ProQuest Asian Business: This database covers Asian business and financial information from key international publications including Far Eastern Economic Review, Asiaweek, and many more.
- ProQuest European Business: This database provides access to the latest European business and financial information from journals and business magazines such as The Economist, Fortune, European Business Journal, and many more.
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses - Full Text: Citations with abstracts to over two million doctoral dissertations and masters theses published since 1861. More than 600,000 titles are available in native or image PDF formats for immediate viewing.
- PsychInfo: Major index/abstract for the field of psychology; includes consumer behavior topics. It contains more than 2 million citations and summaries of scholarly journal articles, book chapters, books, technical reports and dissertations.
- Health and Psychosocial Instruments (HaPI): This database, produced by Behavioral Measurement Database Services, is a comprehensive bibliographic database (there is no fulltext) providing information about behavioural measurement instruments. Information in the database is abstracted from hundreds of leading journals covering health sciences and psychosocial sciences.
- Communication Abstracts: Indexes and abstracts journal articles, books, book chapers and reports in the field of communication studies.
- Communication and Mass Media Complete: Indexes over 400 journals in communication studies and includes the full-text for 200 journals.
- Web of Science: includes the Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) and the Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI). These citation indexes allow for the identification of the number of times a particular work or author is cited in the literature.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO): This academic multi-disciplinary database contains extensive full text content of scholarly journals and some consumer magazines.
- Factiva.com: Searches 500 newswires (Reuters, Associated Press), broadcase transcripts (BBC, NPR, CNN, etc.), magazines, and corporate and business information sources for a total of approximately 9000 sources. The Gazeete, The Globe & Mail, The New York Times and many more are accessible full text on this database.
Article Indexes -- Canada & Quebec
- CBCA Complete: Includes CBCA Business which indexes over 450 Canadian business periodicals, many with fulltext, including trade journals, general business publications, academic journals, topical journals, and professional publications.
- Canadian Newsstand: Provides full text of Canadian newspapers (without tables or images). 1985 onward.
- Eureka.cc: Full text access to La Presse, Le Devoir, Le Soleil, Le Droit, Voir & L'Actualite.
- CPI.Q: Canadian Periodical Index. Indexes approximately 80 business publications.
- Factiva.com: Includes The Globe & Mail and The Gazette (Montreal), full text (see description above).
- Repere: Repere is a multidisciplinary index of articles published in 270 French-language periodicals, of which 195 are from Canadian sources. Partley indexes Les Affaires.
Online Sources of Market & Consumer Data
The following provides market and consumer data. Check descriptions for geographical coverage.
- CANSIM (via Statistics Canada): From Statistics Canada, these statistics cover a whide variety of social and economic aspects of Canadian life. Data can be displayed and manipulated online, printed or downloaded as tables or graphs, and/or downloaded for further manipulation in the spreadsheet or statistical package of your choice.
- D&B Million Dollar Database (MDDI) (Dun & Bradstreet): Provides information on over 1,200,000 Canadian public and private businesses. Company information includes industry information with up to 24 individual 8-digit SICs, 6-digit NAICS, size criteria (employees and annual sales), type of ownership, principal executives and biographies. Corporate family tree information is also available. This database allows for generating lists of companies using the criteria listed above.
- Global Market Information Database (Passport GMID): This database provides key business information on countries, companies, markets and consumers (including Canada). It includes consumer lifestyle analysis and statistics by country.
- Ipsos News Center: This is an online database of publicly released polls from 1995 forward, accompanied by detailed data tables, demographic breakdowns, charts and/or PowerPoint slides. The News Center covers a wide range of topics from politics and productivity to health care and homelessness.
- Plunkett Research Online: This database offers business intelligence, industry trends, statistics, market research, sales leads and corporate profiles for over 25 US industries, including: advertising & marketing, airlines, food & beverage, retailing and sports. Some Canadian company data also available.
- PMB Print Measurement Bureau: Provides survey data of Canadian comsumer relating to non-print media exposure, product usage and lifestyles (print readership can be found in the PMB...readership volume, REF HF 5415.33 C2P67 WEB). Use eiether Members Only Category Reports or Product Data to access statistical tables. Coverage includes media activity, personal care, travel, apparel, home electronics, leisure, snacks, children's products, etc. A guide to this database can be found at the following site: PMB User Guide (pdf)