Journal Holdings Assistant (Supernumerary)
Concordia University Library seeks applications for a contract position as Journal Holdings Assistant in Collection Services. The position is available immediately for a duration of up to 24 months. The location of work is onsite at the Vanier Library on the Loyola Campus. Applicants with full and part time availability are invited to apply.
Under the direction and supervision of the Head, Acquisitions and Serials performs tasks of a specialized nature associated with searching bibliographic recordings, adding holdings to the library catalogue, and physically processing journal volumes; occasionally performs other duties as assigned.
The Journal Holdings Assistant is a core project team member for the Journal Holdings Data Remediation Project.
- Searches for acceptable MARC bibliographic records for serials.
- Adds holdings and item information.
- Completes physical processing, including barcoding and applying security strips.
- Shares expertise and explains procedures to other staff, as required.
- Recommends improvements in policies and procedures.
- Maintains and reports work statistics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (three-year technical DEC) in Information & Library Technology.
- Good spoken English (level 4). Basic written English (level 3). Basic reading knowledge of French (level 3) an asset.
- Work experience in a library, working with the staff modules of an integrated library system, is required.
- Knowledge of basic principles and procedures for cataloguing, including MARC bibliographic formats and codes, and major bibliographic tools.
- Demonstrated ability to search for and interpret bibliographic and holdings records for serials in an integrated library system.
- Demonstrated knowledge for working in the Windows operating system, basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel; basic knowledge of Microsoft Outlook for email communication.
- Ability to organize work, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately while paying close attention to detail, and to concentrate on computer tasks for long periods of time.
- Ability to quickly learn new procedures and technologies, and to adapt rapidly to changing procedures and technologies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively with librarians and co-workers and communicate with professionalism and discretion.
- Ability to give instruction and to explain problems and procedures clearly and succinctly.
- Ability to use a computer for uninterrupted work periods of 60-90 minutes. Physical stamina is required to push a full book truck weighing up to 136 kg (300 lbs.), to lift heavy volumes weighing up to 2.2 kg (5 lbs.), and to shelve materials while paying attention to personal safety.
- Dexterity to handle and process physical materials with precision.
Interested candidates must supply the following in one (1) single PDF attachment:
- a letter of interest;
- curriculum vitae, which must include a statement of your citizenship;
- the names, email addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references.
Electronic applications should be submitted to Sandra Biron, Senior Library Personnel Assistant: email@example.com.