On this page
Visiting Special Collections during the Covid-19 pandemic
Beginning on Tuesday, January 19, 2021, Concordia-affiliated researchers (students, faculty, and staff) will be able to schedule appointments to consult the Library’s Special Collections.
The Special Collections Reading Room (VL-121) will be open from Tuesday to Thursday.
Each day will be split into 2 shifts: morning (9am-12pm) and afternoon (1pm-4pm).
Researchers are able to book up to 2 shifts per week. These shifts can be on the same day or on alternate days. Only 1 researcher will be scheduled in the Special Collections Reading Room at a time.
Before visiting the Special Collections Reading Room, all researchers are required to complete their mandatory Covid-19 training. Should researchers or anyone in their household be exhibiting symptoms of Covid-19, they must reschedule their appointment. It is possible that appointments will be rescheduled should a Special Collections staff member be unable to be present.
The Special Collections Reading Room will be cleaned according to governmental and university protocols. Masks must be worn at all times in the Library and social distancing must be maintained. Researchers are asked to bring with them only what they need to conduct their work. Everything else must be placed in one of the lockers provided (lockers will be sanitized between users).
Making an appointment
Please contact Special Collections at least 3 working days in advance to schedule your appointment. Walk-in users cannot be accommodated at this time.
The following steps should be followed when booking your appointment:
- Contact Special Collections at email@example.com and let a staff member know what materials you would like to see and when. If you are not sure what would like to consult, a staff member will help guide you and provide you with the tools necessary to learn what is available.
- Please make sure that you contact Special Collections at least 3 working days in advance of the date you would like to visit. Should your requested appointment date be in less than 3 working days, an alternate date will be suggested.
- Materials must be quarantined 3 days before and after your appointment. Should the materials be in quarantine on the day you requested, an alternate appointment date will be suggested.
- Make sure to give yourself enough time to complete your mandatory Covid-19 training and to book a study space on the Library website (bookings on the Library website must be done at least 3 days in advance of your appointment, see below for more details). This means that, for your first appointment, you might want to contact Special Collections more than 3 days in advance to ensure that you have enough time to complete your Covid-19 training and book a study space on the Library website.
- Once you have identified what you would like to see, Special Collections staff will provide you with a link to book a study space in the Special Collections Reading Room on the Library website. You will need this booking to enter the Vanier Library. You will present this booking, along with your Concordia ID, to the security agent upon entering the Vanier Library. You must book your study space on the Library website at least 3 days in advance of your appointment.
- To be authorized to book a study space, you must first complete the mandatory Covid-19 training. Students may access the training on Moodle (COVID-19 Info for Students for Fall 2020). Faculty and staff should visit their MyConcordia portal to complete their Covid-19 training. You only need to complete the training once. After completing the training, you will be able to access the Library booking system the following day.