- Login to RefWorks
- New to RefWorks? Click on "Sign up for an Individual Account" from the main login page
What is RefWorks?
RefWorks is a Web-based tool that allows you to:
- manage and organize the bibliographic references you find in library catalogues, databases, and on the web
- prepare a bibliography or reference list automatically
- insert and automatically format in-text citations and a bibliography into a paper using Microsoft Word
What is RefMobile?
RefMobile (http://refworks.scholarsportal.info/mobile) gives you access to your references in RefWorks from your smart phone, mobile phone or PDA. To access RefMobile, you will require:
- Your 'Log-in Name'
- Your 'Password'
- The 'Group Code'
Click here (and select "Forgot your log-in?") in order to have these 3 things emailed to you.
How to use RefWorks
RefWorks not working on library computers?
Please note, we are currently experiencing some compatability problems with RefWorks on our library computers.
Issue #1: RefWorks folders not opening properly (Internet Explorer 8)
If you experience these or similar problems, try the following:
- Click on the "Start" menu
- Click on the blue "RefWorks" icon
- The RefWorks icon will launch a special version of the Internet Explorer web browser that has the add-ons disabled. This is intentional since the add-ons are connected to the problem. For all other web browsing use the regular version of Internet Explorer.
Issue #2: Adding a "New Reference" doesn't work properly (Internet Explorer 9)
If you experience problems trying to add a "New Reference" (e.g., you cannot enter text in the "Title" or other boxes), try the following:
- Turn on "Compatibility View" in Internet Explorer 9
- The instructions on how to do that can be found here.
- Leave "Compatibility View" turned on while using RefWorks (simply click on the "Compatibility View" icon again to turn it off)
- Installing the Write-N-Cite plug-in for MS Word
- Login to your RefWorks account
- Click on "Tools" and select "Write-N-Cite"
- Select "Write-N-Cite for Windows" or "Write-N-Cite for Mac"
- Read the "Install Information" and then download Write-N-Cite
- Using Write-N-Cite
- Installing the Write-N-Cite plug-in for Hangul
Note - When using certain versions of "Write-N-Cite" from off-campus you need to configure a proxy URL in
order for it to work properly. This only applies to Write-n-Cite versions 3 (for Windows) and 2.5 (for Mac). Follow these instructions:
- For Windows users
- From the Start Menu, select Programs and then RefWorks
- Select the "WNC Proxy Configuration Utility"
- Enter the following Proxy Server URL: http://0-refworks.scholarsportal.info.mercury.concordia.ca/Refworks/?WNC=true
- Click on OK
- For Mac users
- Activate Write-N-Cite
- Select Preferences from the Write-N-Cite menu
- Select the Proxy option and enter the following Proxy Server URL: http://0-refworks.scholarsportal.info.mercury.concordia.ca/Refworks/?WNC=true
- Restart Write-N-Cite for this proxy configuration to take effect
Transferring to (or from) other software
Transferring references to or from other bibliographic management software
(e.g. EndNote, ProCite, Zotero etc.)
What happens when I graduate?
Once you graduate from Concordia you will no longer have free access to your RefWorks account. Some options to consider:
- Sign up for an individual account ($100/year). If you choose this option you will need to backup your Concordia account and restore it in your individual account. More info can be found here.
- Move your account to another insitution that subscribes to RefWorks. To do this, you can backup your Concordia RefWorks account and restore it at your new institution. More info can be found here.
- Move your references to other bibliographic management software (e.g. Endnote, Zotero, etc.). More info can be found here.
What is the Group Code?
If you are prompted to enter a Group Code, you have probably not completed the steps
outlined above for configuring the Write-N-Cite plug-in from off-campus.
You will need the Group Code to access RefMobile. Normally you will receive an email with the Group Code when you first sign up for an account. Click here (and select "Forgot your log-in?") in order to have the Group Code emailed to you.
If the situation requiring a Group Code is different, please ask a librarian.