APA citation style
On this page
Article in a journal - for electronic articles retrieved online, see below
Mellers, B. A. (2000). Choice and the relative pleasure of consequences. Psychological Bulletin, 126, 910-924.
- Note: List only the volume number if the periodical uses continuous pagination throughout a particular volume. If each issue begins with page 1, then list the issue number as well.
Klimoski, R., & Palmer, S. (1993). The ADA and the hiring process in organizations. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 45(2), 10-36.
Article in a newspaper or magazine
Semenak, S. (1995, December 28). Feeling right at home: Government residence eschews traditional rules. Montreal Gazette, p. A4.
Driedger, S. D. (1998, April 20). After divorce. Maclean's, 111(16), 38-43.
Article from an electronic source
- Provide the same information as you would for a printed journal article and add a retrieval statement that will identify the source of this information.
- In general, it is not necessary to include database information (APA, 2010, p. 192).
- You can identify your source by including ONE of the following:
- DOI (digital object identifier)
A DOI is a standardized method for identifying an electronic object. They look something like this: doi:10.1016/j.chb.2008.02.012. DOIs often appear in the citation or the abstract of an article or at the top or bottom of the first page of the article. You may find the DOI for your article by using CrossRef.org.
Find out more about DOIs.
Zhao, S., Grasmuck, S., & Martin, J. (2008). Identity construction on Facebook: Digital empowerment in anchored relationships. Computers in Human Behavior, 24(5), 1816-1836. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2008.02.012
- URL for an online periodical
If there is no DOI for an article found in an online periodical, include the URL for the journal home page.
Cooper, A., & Humphreys, K. (2008). The uncertainty is killing me: Self-triage decision making and information availability. E-Journal of Applied Psychology, 4(1). Retrieved from http://ojs.lib.swin.edu.au/index.php/ejap/
NOTE: For more information about electronic sources, please refer to the APA style guide to electronic references (restricted to Concordia users)