Faculty or graduate assistants
On this page
Who can be a faculty or graduate assistant
Faculty members and graduate students may wish to appoint a student, family member or other representative to carry out library loans on their behalf.
Faculty members or graduate students must expressly appoint individuals to act as their assistants.
How to appoint a faculty or graduate assistant
To appoint a faculty or graduate assistant or renew an appointment, the faculty member or graduate student must complete and sign the Faculty Assistant Appointment Form.
The faculty or graduate assistant must bring the signed Faculty Assistant Appointment Form, as well as valid personal identification, to the Webster or Vanier Circulation Desk.
A Library Privilege Card will be provided to individuals who are appointed as faculty or graduate assistants. This card is issued solely to enable the appointed assistant to borrow material on behalf of the faculty member or graduate student according to the latter's library privileges.
Note: if the appointing faculty or graduate student has more than one library account, an assistant can only be linked to one of those accounts, and subsequently can only pick up hold and ILL requests made by the account linked to the Library Privilege Card they were issued.
What a faculty or graduate assistant can do
To do any of the following actions, a faculty or graduate assistant must go in person to either the Circulation Desk at Vanier Library or Loans & Returns desk at Webster Library during their hours of operation with the Library Privilege card issued to them and a picture ID; note that assistants cannot use the self-checkout machines:
- Borrow material
- Check-out holds and interlibrary loan requests made by the appointing faculty member or graduate student
- Place holds on material from the Concordia Library collections and the Quebec University Library Partnership
- Find out what they have borrowed and check due dates (the appointing faculty member or graduate student will be able to access this information in their My Library Account in Sofia)
Note: faculty and graduate assistants do not have an account in Sofia.
Please note that there is no automatic due date notification.
|Hold Pickup Notification (for holds made by the assistant)||Assistant|
|Loan Overdue Notification (for material borrowed by the assistant)||Assistant and appointing Faculty Member or Graduate Student (except in cases where the material was placed on hold by the appointing Faculty Member or Graduate Student, in these cases only the latter will receive an overdue notification)|
For more information
Please see the Policy on Appointing Faculty Assistants. This policy will also apply to graduate assistants with some exceptions (note that the policy is under review):
- Graduate students can only appoint one individual as a graduate assistant
- The Library Privilege card issued to a graduate assistant shall have the same expiry date as the graduate student's library record