Concordia University Library Research Forum
Code of Conduct
Concordia University Library is committed to providing a welcoming, safe, and harassment-free environment for participants, speakers, and organizers of the Library Research Forum.
We do not tolerate harassment* of any kind.
Disrespectful or discriminatory actions, language, or imagery with regard to race, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, disability, or genetic characteristics are not appropriate.
We expect our participants to:
- Promote a safe environment for everyone that is free from harassment*;
- Be respectful of different dimensions, perspectives and lived experiences among participants and to be sensitive to the impact their communications and behaviors have on others.
All Library Research Forum event participants and organizers are subject to the Code of Conduct.
*What is harassment?
For the purpose of this Code of Conduct, harassment includes (but is not limited to):
- Offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, age, language spoken, race, ethnicity, citizenship status, or religion,
- Sustained disruption of meetings, talks or other events,
- Sexual language and imagery in event spaces, including talks, social events, and online media,
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following,
- Unwelcome photography or recording without permission,
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
Harassment does not include constructive disagreement and the Code of Conduct should not discourage vigorous debate, but rather derogatory and/or disrespectful comments or behaviour. Targeted and disruptive behavior does not qualify as an exercise of academic freedom.
Individuals who witness or experience unacceptable behaviour or have any other concerns are encouraged to come forward immediately by filling out our Code of Conduct violation form or by contacting one of the members of the Library Research Forum organizing committee. Each report of unacceptable conduct will be taken seriously and treated confidentially. Library Research Forum organizing committee members may gather additional information to the extent possible, and may take any action deemed appropriate. All efforts will be taken to preserve the privacy of the individuals affected.
Appropriate text from this policy will be used as the Library Research Forum’s published Code of Conduct during the event.
Any action(s) to be taken will be decided by the Library Research Forum organizing committee.
Individuals asked to cease a behaviour are expected to comply immediately.
Serious or repeated contraventions of this Code could result in expulsion from the event. If needed, local law enforcement may be involved.
This Code of Conduct was adapted from the CARL Code of Conduct.
The content on this page is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.