Finding Open Access content
On this page
Search Services that index Open Access content
- Google and Google Scholar - Google Scholar indexes open access articles, identifying them within a results list with a green arrow. While not all articles found on Google or Google Scholar include free full text, Google searches many open access repositories in addition to proprietary content.
- BASE - Bielefeld Academic Search Engine indexes academically relevant web resources from over 2000 sources. It was created and developed by Bielefeld University Library.
- CORE - Find Open Access research papers from data providers from all over the world including institutional repositories, subject-repositories and journal publishers.
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations (OATD) - OATD is a discovery service intended to improve the ability to put researchers and scholars in touch with the valuable and unique Open Access content. OATD does not index or redistribute any document's full text.
- OpenAire - Search repositories and OA journals from across Europe and the world.
- Arrow (Australia) - Australian Research Repositories Online to the World indexes and searches over 260, 000 Australian research outputs, including: theses; preprints; post-prints; journal articles; book chapters; music recordings and pictures. ARROW indexes items based on metadata harvested from the institutional repositories by the National Library of Australia.
- IDEAS/RePEc - Internet Documents in Economics Access Service (IDEAS) for Research Papers in Economics (RePEc) includes open access working papers, book chapters and software components. The service has been made possible through the collaborative effort of volunteers worldwide.
Open Access Repositories
- Spectrum: Concordia University Research Repository - Concordia University's open access institutional repository that centralizes access and preserves the research created at Concordia.
- arXiv.org - An open access repository comprising of e-prints in physics and its related disciplines, such as mathematics, non-linear sciences, and computer science. arXiv is owned and maintained by Cornell University and partially funded by the National Science Foundation.
- Cogprints - A repository comprised of self-archived works predominantly in the areas of the cognitive sciences, including psychology, neuroscience, linguistics, computer science, philosophy, biology, medicine, and anthropology. The archive resides and is maintained by the University of Southampton.
- E-LIS - An international open access archive for preprints, postprints and other documents in the field of library and information science.
- NDLTD - Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations is a collaborative project between universities worldwide, which disseminates and preserves electronic theses and dissertations.
- HAL (France) - Hyper Article on Line is designed for authors to deposit their research, and thereby offer publicly available scholarly documents from all academic fields. The repository is run through CNRS (Centre national de la recherche scientifique) in France. Registration is required to contribute to HAL.
- PubMed Central - A free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- PubMed Central Canada - PMC Canada provides free access to a stable and permanent online digital archive of full-text, peer-reviewed, health and life sciences research publications. It builds on the content currently available in the U.S.-based PubMed Central through the submission of Canadian funded biomedical and health research.
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN): Repository for the social sciences and humanities
- OpenDOAR - Directory of Open Access Repositories - A directory of academic open access repositories. Maintained by the University of Nottingham, this site lists institutional and subject-based repositories, while also providing a service to search the contents of these repositories.
- Open Access disciplinary respositories: List maintained by the Open Access Directory (OAD)
- Directory of Open Access Journals - Directory of free, full-text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals.
- Directory of Open Access Books - Directory of free, full-text, academic peer-reviewed books from a variety of publishers.