- Loans & Returns (Circulation)
- My Library Account
- Borrowing items
- Renewing items
- Overdue items
Webster Library Loans & Returns
514-848-2424, ext. 7706
Vanier Library Circulation Services
514-848-2424, ext. 7770
How to borrow items
You can use your Concordia ID card (or Alumni Card / Library Privilege Card with valid ID*) to borrow from the Concordia Library. Borrowers must have an active (non-expired) library account. In cases where the usual loan period would exceed the expiry date on the user's account, the loan will be due back on the expiry date.
You can borrow regularly circulating material at the Loans & Returns desk (Webster Library) or Circulation desk (Vanier Library) or at a self-checkout machine at either library.
To use the self-checkout machine, scan the barcode on your Concordia ID card (or Alumni Card / Library Privilege Card) and scan the barcode of each item you wish to borrow. For information on when your item(s) are due back check your My Library Account.
Some material, such as journals and reference material, must be consulted within the Library only and cannot be borrowed.
* Valid ID: Driver's license with an address or photo ID with some proof of residence (e.g., utility bill).
Item not available: If an item you wish to borrow is currently not available for borrowing (e.g., another user has borrowed the item or the item is newly acquired and not on the shelf yet), you can request a hold for this item. You will receive an email when the item is available for pickup.
Item in Library at either campus: If an item you wish to borrow is on the shelf in either Library, you can request a hold for this item and it will be sent to the campus of your choice. You will receive an email when it is available for pickup.
Look for the Request button in the Sofia Discovery tool to place a hold:
Multi-parts/volumes: If the item you are requesting has multiple parts or volumes, you can change the “I need” drop down menu on the request form to "Specific Copies or Volumes", which will allow you to select the specific part/volume(s) you need.
Article/Chapter Scan & Deliver service: Articles and chapters from Concordia's collection of books and print or microform periodicals can be scanned and emailed to you as a PDF attachment.
Intercampus Delivery of Bound Periodicals and Microforms: Full volumes of a bound periodical or a periodical on microform can be transfered by intercampus delivery to Vanier Library or Webster Library for pickup.
Maximum number of items
|User type (see definitions below)||Loan item limit||Holds item limit|
|Concordia University community||100||50|
|External academic community||100||0|
User type definitions
- Concordia community
- Current Concordia students, staff, faculty, post-docs and retirees
- External academic community
- Members from institutions with which the Concordia Library has agreements (OCUL, CAUL, COPPUL,)
- Concordia alumni
- See the University's Alumni & Friends webpage to see who is eligible for an Alumni ID card
- CEGEP partners
- Members from CEGEPs in Quebec that have agreements with the Concordia Library
- Paying members
- Members who have paid the $50 membership fee.
|Item type (see definitions below)||Loan duration||Limits|
|Regularly circulating collections of all BCI libraries||30 days (with automatic renewals)|
|Daily course reserve loans||1 day||Only available for the Concordia community|
|3-hour course reserve loans||3 hours||Only available for the Concordia community|
|Equipment||1 day||Only available for the Concordia community|
|Library laptops||1 day||Only available for the Concordia community|
|Library tablets||3 days||Only available for the Concordia community|
|Technology Sandbox items||7 days||Only available for the Concordia community|
- Regularly circulating collections of all BCI libraries
- Includes books, video and sound recordings, kits, etc., that are not in Course Reserves, Special Collections, or the non-circulating reference collection
- Daily course reserve loans
- Items from the Course Reserves Room with a one-day loan period. Only available to the Concordia community.
- Three-hour course reserve loans
- Items from the Course Reserves Room with a three-hour loan period. Only available to the Concordia community.
- Includes light therapy lamps, calculators, markers, external CD/DVD drives, visual aid keyboards, portable standing desks, and adaptors. Only available to the Concordia community.
- Includes headphones and phone chargers. Available to all borrowing users.
- Library laptops
- Only available to the Concordia community.
- Library tablets
- Only available to the Concordia community.
- Technology Sandbox items
- Includes cameras, Arduino kits, tripods, gaming systems, video games, Raspberry Pi kits, VR headsets, and more (see full list of Technology Sandbox items). Only available to the Concordia community.
Library users can check out materials for themselves using the self-checkout machines at Webster and Vanier Libraries. One machine is available in the entry area of the Vanier Library and there are two machines at the Webster Library, also in the entry area. To use them, you must have your Concordia ID card, Alumni ID card or Library Privilege Card.
If you need help, select the "Instructions" button on the self-checkout screen or see staff at the Loans & Returns Desk (Webster Library) or Circulation Desk (Vanier Library).
Certain items cannot be checked out at the machine, including:
- Items which have been requested by another user
- Reference materials (dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.)
- All journals, magazines, and newspapers
- Media materials including microforms, videos, etc.
- Equipment (e.g., laptops, tablets, Technology Sandbox items)
Other Quebec university libraries
In July 2020, Quebec universities implemented a Shared Services Platform. This platform allows students, faculty, and staff from all Quebec university libraries to search, access, and request and borrow items from the collections of the 18 partner institutions. This new system eliminates the need for a BCI card in Quebec university libraries.
As of May 5, 2022, the new network loans service will begin. This will allow you to easily place requests for books held by other university libraries in Quebec, right within Sofia! This means if Concordia Library does not have the book you want (or if it has already been checked out) you can easily request it from one of the Quebec university libraries that has it.
Please visit the Sofia user guide for more information.
Note: Loans may not be available at some institutions due to the current situation with COVID-19.
BCI card (university libraries outside of Quebec)
Concordia students, staff and faculty (including retired faculty) may be eligible to borrow items in person from other Canadian libraries outside of Quebec with a BCI card, issued by Concordia Library.
Bring your Concordia ID to the Loans & Returns desk at the Webster Library or the Circulation desk at the Vanier Library to get your BCI card.
When borrowing from other Canadian university libraries, please take note of the following:
- The borrower must show a BCI card as well as provide appropriate personal identification (picture ID) for registration.
- In requesting a BCI card, the borrower is agreeing to respect the policies and procedures of the lending library, including returns and fines policies.
- All fines, replacement costs, and other fees are based upon the policies of the lending library. The borrower in arrears may reestablish borrowing privileges once all fines and fees are paid to the lending library.
- Borrowed material may be returned at the returns counter of the lending library or to the returns counter of the borrower's home library.