- User guide for the Sofia Discovery tool
- Viewing items
- My Account
- What happened to CLUES and the Discovery Search?
- Sofia Discovery tool
The full item is displayed by clicking on a title or cover in the results list. This includes the main information from the results list (title, author, year of publication, etc.).
Export and save options
Export and save options are on the top right:
- Cite: obtain a bibliographic reference for the item. On the left-hand side, you can export bibliographic data to EndNote, RefWorks or in RIS format (namely for Zotero and Mendeley). On the right-hand side, you can display a reference in various formats (APA, MLA, etc.) to copy/paste elsewhere.
- Note: always verify your citation after pasting it in your list of references or bibliography.
- Link: get a permanent a URL for the item.
- Email: email a link to the item.
- Save: add to My Items on the top of the page.
- Note: if you do not sign in to your account, items will only be saved during the work session. To save them permanently, you must sign in.
Sections within an item
The item includes several other sections to open and close as needed. Some items may not include all of the following sections.
- View description: provides detailed information on the item’s format and content: physical dimensions, abstract, subject matter, notes, etc. It also includes different identifiers and standard issues.
- Browse the shelves: displays item on a virtual shelf with the other items that have a similar call number, and could therefore be relevant. Navigate left and right to see the next items. Items could be digital or located in different branches.
- Explore editions and formats: displays different copies or editions of the item, such as earlier editions, other languages, other formats (e-book, large-print books, microform, etc.) Every edition includes summary information; click on a title to access the item.
- Check availability: displays different options to retrieve the item. You may for example hold the item or request an interlibrary loan.
One or several of the following sections may come up:
- Online Access: displays digital items with a hyperlink. Access conditions are specified in Notes.
- Concordia University Library: displays copies from Concordia Univesrity Library with exact location and availability. If available, you may hold the item by clicking on the Request button.
- Bibliothèques universitaires du Québec: displays items from other libraries affiliated with the Quebec University Library Partnership. You consult or borrow the items on site, but interlibrary loans are usually preferred. For licencing purposes, you may not directly access digital items from other institutions. A note to this effect shall be displayed.
- Libraries Worldwide: displays copies from other libraries around the world that have deposited their collections in WorldCat. Click on Request via Interlibrary Loan (if available) to request an interlibrary loan, which is transferred through Colombo. You may also click on a specific library to consult its catalogue directly.